Last updated on November 15th, 2022 at 10:39 am
It’s one thing to build a great home gym. It’s another thing entirely to use it effectively to get the results that you want. That’s where great programming comes in. And make no mistake, programming matters! Especially if you want to crush your goals like never before in the coming year.
So if you are wondering what programs to use this year in your garage or basement gym that will help you achieve that goal, you are in the right place! I’ve got a foolproof recommendation that will produce results in anyone who is willing to work consistently over the coming year.
The best year-long programming for home and garage gym owners is the MAPS Super Bundle. It contains 12 months of phased resistance training that will produce consistent results and avoid plateaus. It’s suitable for men and women of any experience level and includes everything you need to hit your goals.
I use the programs in this bundle myself and know that you’ll love them too! Click here now to head over to the Mind Pump site and pick up the Super Bundle.
Oh, by the way, all of their programs work great for those of you that belong to commercial gyms too!
Why a Year Long Bundle Instead of an Individual 12-week Program?
One of the major pitfalls when looking at programs is that they are almost all twelve weeks long. And they all market themselves as if at the end of those twelve weeks, you’ll be “done”. You will have achieved all of your desired results and can move on with life. That’s not how training works.
People often overestimate what they can do in twelve weeks. Then at the end of that time, they are discouraged that they don’t look like all the before and after photos that were used to sell them the program they used. They hang up their workout clothes and don’t usually get back to it until the next year starts. Sound familiar?
It’s important to look at training and fitness as a lifelong pursuit. And when you look at it that way, it makes sense to move forward in one-year blocks. You’ll get far greater results over the course of a year and you are much more likely to stick to your programming if you know it’s an ongoing thing.
In addition to that, there are some other huge advantages to going with a training plan that is mapped across the entire year:
- It takes the thinking out of the equation. Just execute the plan as it’s laid out.
- It’s designed to produce results across the entire year and avoid plateaus.
- It will prevent overtraining, common in people who like to push themselves too hard.
- It will preven undertraining, common in people who only do the same basic things day after day.
- It will force you to do what’s beneficial, not just stick to the things you like to do.
- It will prevent injuries.
- It will have variety, be fun, and keep you interested over the long haul.
- It will produce significantly better results than running a 12-week program over and over again.
I can’t recommend approaching your training this way highly enough. It’s been an absolute game-changer for me and I know it will do the same for you.
Why are MAPS Programs Better Than Most?
Most online training is terrible. It’s sold by fitness influencers who don’t actually use the programming they are selling, are on steroids, and are usually trying to sell you supplements along with their programs. In other words, 95% of what’s out there is mediocre at best and a dangerous scam at worst.
This article by Dr. John Rusin does a better job than I ever could identifying what to stay away from. It’s a quick and entertaining read. Make sure to check it out if you are in the market for programming, especially if you are hiring an online trainer.
The advice at the end of the article is what matters most:
And that’s precisely what sets the guys over at Mind Pump apart from the rest of the crowd. They check each of these boxes and many more. Between them, they have over 60 years of in-person training experience and have successfully trained thousands of people.
I’ve been using their training programs for years and can attest that it’s the best out there when it comes to training in your home, garage gym, or even a commercial gym.
What the MAPS Super Bundle includes
- MAPS Prime: A must-have for anyone running any resistance training program. This will increase the effectiveness of all of your training and give you a solid blueprint for pre and post-workout movements. (see my full review of MAPS Prime here)
- MAPS Anabolic: Highly effective and designed to create a base of strength you can build on the rest of the year. This program will build muscle, boost your metabolism, and lay a solid foundation for the programs that come after. (see my full review of MAPS Anabolic here)
- MAPS Performance: A performance-based program designed to help you increase mobility and strength at the same time. The perfect follow-up to MAPS Anabolic. (see my full review of MAPS Performance here)
- MAPS Aesthetic: A full body hypertrophy program designed to help you attain the look and body you want. Running this after Anabolic and Performance is highly effective and produces noticeable results. (full review coming soon!)
- MAPS Anywhere: I love this program! It’s a program that can be done anywhere only with resistance bands and is what you turn to when going on vacation during the year. Use it anytime you can’t get to your gym, so you don’t slow down your progress over the year. It’s also a great program to run once you’ve completed the first three. I find it the perfect way to “deload” after driving hard for several months. (full review coming soon!)
- Kettlebells for Aesthetics: This is a complete and highly effective kettlebell program. It’s a great way to change things up and introduce new stimuli to your body. I try to do a cycle of kettlebell training at least once a year, and this is the perfect blueprint for it.
- Sexy Athlete MOD: I hate the name, but I love the idea. This program modification shows you how to blend the Performance and Aesthetic programs to train athleticism and aesthetics simultaneously. It’s perfect for springtime training when you are preparing for a summer spent outside, looking great!
- Butt Builder Blueprint: Another one with a terrible name. This shows you how to combine MAPS Anabolic and Aesthetic to work on your glutes. This is the one part of this bundle I’ve never run, but that’s because I think there’s plenty of glute work in the programs as they are already written.
What does the MAPS Super Bundle Cost?
If you were to buy all of those programs separately, it would cost you just under $600. By going with the bundle, you come in at an investment of $397, a $200 savings.
When you break that down over the year of training you get, that’s only $33 per month. You simply can’t get this level of training at that kind of price any other way.
What Equipment Do You Need For the MAPS Programs?
Each MAPS program has two separate training tracks included. One is written for a fully equipped commercial gym (Rack, barbell, plates, dumbbells, kettlebells, cables, etc.), the other is an “at home mod” written for people who only have a bench and dumbbells.
I tend to use a blend of both as I don’t have a cable system at home. In any case, you don’t need a gym full of equipment to use these programs. And make no mistake, you can get exceptional results with the at-home mods!
Pros and Cons of the Super Bundle
- One full year of programming included.
- It’s very well laid out and easy to follow.
- Each program builds upon the previous one for consistent, plateau-free results over the course of the year.
- Training variety keeps you engaged throughout the entire year. You won’t get bored!
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Easy to use online portal and user interface.
- Videos for everything (separate videos for men and women are included!)
- It saves you 33% over buying the individual programs when purchased as a bundle.
- If followed consistently for a year, you WILL see results!!!
- Buying a year of programming up front will help motivate you to stick with your training for the year instead of running individual 9 or 12-week programs.
- Tracking logs could be a lot better.
- You may not need the two included mods.
- The videos are very good, but could use more coaching cues and verbal instruction.
- MOD names like “Sexy Athlete” and “Butt Builder” may turn some people off to what are actually very effective programs.
Alternative programs if the Super Bundle isn’t for you
I firmly believe that committing to a year of training is the right way to build your body, get in shape, and significantly improve your health.
The nice thing about the Super Bundle is that you can run it on repeat year after year. You never need to buy another program again. But that said, either the investment or the time commitment may be too much for some. And that’s completely understandable in today’s busy and uncertain world.
I’ve got two scaled-back suggestions for those of you who fall into this category.
The MAPS RGB Bundle
This drops down to 9 months of programming and includes the three core programs of MAPS Anabolic, MAPS Performance, and MAPS Aesthetic. Here you’ll spend a bit less and still get great, long-term programming.
The MAPS Starter Bundle
This bundle comes with MAPS Prime and MAPS Anabolic and is the perfect way to start your year. I would run these programs repeatedly without switching things up, but if you are looking to get started with a highly effective program and not spend as much as the above options, the Starter bundle is a great value.
How to get the most out of your new MAPS Bundles
I’ve worked through each of the programs in the bundles above several times. With that experience, I’ve come up with a list of things I do that ensure I always get the best possible results. I thought it would be helpful to list those things here so you can avoid a lot of the mistakes I made when I first used these programs.
- Follow the programs exactly as written. Don’t try to “outthink” them. A lot of what you see will be very different than what you might be used to. Trust these guys. They know how to get results.
- Form and tempo are significantly more important than total weight. Leave your ego at the door. Always leave “two reps in the tank.” Never perform a movement without perfect form.
- Don’t skip MAPS Prime. This program supplements and enhances all of the other programs. It will help keep you free from injuries and improve your results from each day you spend in the gym.
- Don’t overcommit. Pick a training frequency you can stick with. And don’t add extra!
- Don’t skip the off-day trigger, mobility, or focus sessions (you’ll see what these are when you start the programs). These are absolute game-changers. They will boost your results by as much as 20-30% when done regularly.
- Sleep and nutrition trump everything else. If you eat and sleep like crap, you won’t see results. It’s that simple.
If you want to ensure that you get the best results possible over your next year of training, I wholeheartedly believe that the MAPS Super Bundle is one of the surest ways to get there.
As with everything on the GymCrafter site, I never recommend anything unless I’ve extensively used and tested it myself. This bundle of programming is no exception. I’ve been using the MAPS programs for years, and they continue to produce results time and time again.
Make this year your best year yet. Get the MAPS Super Bundle now and make the most out of your time in the gym!